Blaxland, Lawson & WentworthPrint Page
A monument commemorates Blaxland, Lawson and Wentworth's crossing of the Blue Mountains. On 12 May 1813 the three men found good water at a site which is Glenbrook Lagoon. To commemorate this early stage of the successful expedition over the mountains, the Royal Australian Historical Society erected a marble plaque on a sandstone slab.
In 1813, following several attempts by others, Blaxland, Lawson and Wentworth found a passage to the western plains by following the top of a ridge. It was a difficult journey, often through thick scrub and steep country, and sometimes it was difficult to find grass for the horses to eat. The three men were landowners in the colony. 1813 had been a dry year and more land was needed to feed all the people who were arriving in Sydney. Their trip was therefore very successful. The opening up of a way across the mountains and the establishment of a new town at Bathurst paved the way for inland settlement and enabled the carrying out of exploration which went on for more than half a century. With the completion of the railway across the mountains, and upgrade of the road, both of which closely follow the route of Blaxland, Lawson and Wentworth, the population west of the mountains quickly grew.
The Glenbrook Progress Association, in conjunction with the Royal Australian Historical Society, is arranging to unveil a tablet to the memory of Blaxland, Wentworth, and Lawson at Glenbrook, on Saturday, the 115th anniversary of the first camp formed on the mountains by these three men.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 8th May 1928.
|Address:||41 Great Western Highway, Glenbrook, 2773|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.764926|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Royal Historical Society|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 12th May, 1928|
BLAXLAND, WENTWORTH AND LAWSON
MAY 12, 1813