George William EvansPrint Page
Cairn unveiled in 1978 on private property marks the site where George Evans accompanied by George Kane (alias Thos. Appledore), James Butler, Patrick Byrne and John Tighe sighted the Lachlan River and named the surrounding district, Oxley`s Plains in 1815.
The land for the memorial was provided by the late former Mayor of Cowra, Barbara Bennett.
With a party of four men, two packhorses and provisions for six weeks, Evans set out from Bathurst on May 13 1815, heading south until rough country encouraged his to turn west. On May 26 he descended into the Valley of Sheet-O-Bark Creek, followed it downstream east of Matheson Trig, where he crossed and ascended the elevation (just off the Canowindra Road 10 kilometres from Cowra).
From the summit Evans saw the Lachlan Valley for the first time and recorded it in his diary on May 27 1815. Evans named the river the Lachlan in honour of the Christian name of Governor Macquarie.
|Address:||North Logan Road, 13 kms from Cowra, Cowra, 2794|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.762293|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||27-May-1815|
|Actual Event End Date:||27-May-1815|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Cowra and District Historical Society|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1978|
NEAR THIS SPOT
GEORGE WILLIAM EVANS
DEPUTY SURVEYOR OF LANDS
GEORGE KANE (Alias THOS APPLEDORE),
JAMES BUTLER, PATRICK BYRNE AND
JOHN TIGHE DISCOVERED
THE LACHLAN RIVER ON 27 MAY 1815,
NAMING THE SURROUNDING DISTRICT