Captain James CookPrint Page
Monument erected by the Byron Shire Council to commemorate the bicentenaryof the landing of Captain Cook in Australia in 1770.
Captain James Cook sailed northward along this coastline in HMS Endeavour. Byron Bay was named by Captain James Cook as he sailed up the coast in 1770. Captain Cook named Cape Byron after Vice-Admiral John Byron who was the grandfather of the famous 19th century poet, Lord Byron.
|Address:||Lighthouse Road, Cape Byron Headland Reserve Car Park, Byron Bay, 2481|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -28.642037|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||15-May-1770|
|Actual Event End Date:||15-May-1770|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1970|