Governor Phillip`s Hawkesbury River ExpeditionPrint Page
An obelisk commemorates the 150th anniversary of the discovery and naming of the Hawkesbury River by Governor Phillip in 1789.
On June 6 1789 Captain Arthur Phillip led an expedition to Broken Bay, sending supply boats up the coast. He and his party, including Hunter from Sirius, Collins, Johnston, White and marines trekked overland. They camped at Pittwater, proceeded to investigate Brisbane Waters and then found the main stream and proceeded as far as Dangar Island. Phillip named the waterway the Hawkesbury after the President of the Council of Trade and Plantations in the Pitt Ministry.
An obelisk to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the discovery and naming of the Hawkesbury River by Governor Phillip in 1789 is being erected at Brooklyn by the Manly-Warringah-Pittwater Historical Society. The memorial will be unveiled on Saturday afternoon, June 17, by the Commissioner for Railways, Mr. Hartigan. After the ceremony, visitors will be taken on an excursion along the river.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 29 April 1939.
|Address:||Dangar Road, Opposite Railway Station, Brooklyn, 2083|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.547067|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1789|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1789|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Manly Warringah and Pittwater Historical Society|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 17th June, 1939|
THIS OBELISK COMMEMORATES THE DISCOVERY AND NAMING OF THE HAWKESBURY RIVER BY GOVERNOR PHILLIP
UNVEILED BY T.J.HARTIGAN C.M.G.
COMMISIONER FOR RAILWAYS N.S.W.
17th JUNE 1939.
ERECTED BY THE MANLY, WARRINGAH AND PITTWATER HISTORICAL SOCIETY