Possession Island BicentenaryPrint Page Print this page

A plaque commemorates the bi-centenary of the ceremony held on Possession Island by Captain Cook on the 22nd August 1770. The plaque also commemorates the first recorded sighting of a lyrebird and koala in the Bargo area on the 26th Juanuary 1798. 

During 1770, Captain James Cook charted the east coast of Australia, landing at Botany Bay on 28 April. Cook formally took possession of the whole of the eastern part of Australia in August on Possession Island, just off the north coast of Cape York Peninsula, naming the region "New South Wales".


Address:Railside Avenue (Remembrance Drive), Park near Railway Station, Bargo, 2574
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.290376
Long: 150.579663
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Actual Event STart Date:22-August-1770
Actual Event End Date:22-August-1770


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 22nd August, 1970
Source: H, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design