www.monumentaustralia.org.au

200th Anniversary of the Naming of Churchill IslandPrint Page Print this page

21-May-2016
21-May-2016

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
A plaque commemorates the 200th anniversary of the naming of Churchill Island in 1801 and the official opening of the historic precinct. 

In 1801, navigator James Grant visited Churchill Island (which he named) and had some of his convict crew fell some trees and build a blockhouse. They cultivated a patch of soil and Grant planted seeds of wheat, corn, potatoes, peas, coffee berries, apples, peaches and nectarines given to him for the purpose of creating a garden "for the future benefit of our fellow men be they Countrymen, Europeans or Savages" by John Churchill of Dawlish in Devon, England. This was the first European garden and crop of wheat grown in Victoria. 

Location

Address:Samuel Arness Drive, Churchill Island Heritage Farm (off Phillip Island) , Newhaven, 3925
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -38.499777
Long: 145.337963
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Landscape
Sub-Theme:Settlement
Approx. Event Start Date:1801
Approx. Event End Date:2001

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 24th March, 2001
Front Inscription

            In Commemoration of
The 200 Year Anniversary of the Naming of Churchill Island
             And the Official Opening
                          of the
Historic Precinct of Churchill Island
                            By
The Hon Steve Bracks, MP, Premier of Victoria
               On 24th March 2001
            Phillip Island Nature Park

            This Plaque donated by the 
        Friends of Churchill Island Society Inc. 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Exploration
Exploration
Settlement
Settlement
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design