300th Anniversary of the Discovery of TasmaniaPrint Page
A plaque commemorates 300th anniversary of the discovery of Tasmania by Abel Tasman in 1642.
On 24 November 1642 Abel Tasman sighted the west coast of Tasmania, north of Macquarie Harbour. He named his discovery Van Diemen's Land after Antonio van Diemen, Governor-General of the Dutch East Indies. Proceeding south he skirted the southern end of Tasmania and turned north-east, Tasman then tried to work his two ships into Adventure Bay on the east coast of South Bruny Island where he was blown out to sea by a storm, this area he named Storm Bay.
Two days later Tasman anchored to the North of Cape Frederick Hendrick just North of the Forestier Peninsula. Tasman then landed in Blackman Bay – in the larger Marion Bay. The next day, an attempt was made to land in North Bay; however, because the sea was too rough the carpenter swam through the surf and planted the Dutch flag in North Bay. Tasman then claimed formal possession of the land on 3 December 1642.
|Address:||McVilly Drive, Regatta Pavillion, Queens Domain, Hobart, 7000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.877001|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||24-November-1642|
|Actual Event End Date:||24-November-1642|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1942|
This tablet commemorates 300th anniversary of the discovery of Tasmania by Abel Jans Tasman in the year 1642
Unveiled in the occassion of the 104th anniversary of the Royal Hobart Regatta in the year 1942.