E. G. Waterhouse National Camellia Gardens Print Page
E.G. Waterhouse National Camellia Gardens were constructed by the Sutherland Shire Council in co-operation with the Australian Camellia Research Society and the Sutherland Shire Orchid Society to commemorate the bicentenary of Captain Cook's landing at Kurnell in 1770.
The garden was named after Professor E.G. Waterhouse an acknowledged world authority on the camellia. The first plantings in the garden commenced in 1969.
Kurnell is considered to be ‘the birthplace of modern Australia’, as it is the place where Captain James Cook landed on 29 April 1770, making first contact with the original inhabitants of the area, the Gweagal Aborigines whilst navigating his way up the East Coast of Australia on Endeavour. Captain Cook along with his crew stayed at Kurnell for a period of eight days. During their visit they collected botanical specimens, mapped the area and tried to make contact (unsuccessfully) with the indigenous population. When Cook reported back to England he said that the land was suitable for agriculture and was lightly wooded.
|Address:||President Avenue & Kareena Road, Caringbah, 2229|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.042147|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 18th July, 1970|
E.G.WATERHOUSE NATIONAL CAMELLIA GARDEN
CONSTRUCTED BY THE SUTHERLAND SHIRE COUNCIL IN CO-OPERATION WITH THE AUSTRALIAN CAMELLIA RESEARCH SOCIETY
THE SUTHERLAND SHIRE ORCHID SOCIETY
TO COMMEMORATE THE BI-CENTENARY OF CAPTAIN JAMES COOKS LANDING AT KURNELL AND NAMED AFTER PROFESSOR E.G. WATERHOUSE AN ACKNOWLEDGED WORLD AUTHORITY ON THE CAMELLIA
THIS GARDEN WAS OFFICIALLY OPENED BY LADY BUTLER
WIFE OF THE GOVERNOR OF NEW SOUTH WALES
ON THE 18th JULY, 1970