Mount Bryan Summit CairnPrint Page
The cairn replaces the one erected by surveyor Edward Frome which was demolished by the South Australian Water Authority in 1970 to make way for other engineering works when Mount Bryan became a Water Reserve.
The first European to see the mountain now known as Mount Bryan was the explorer Edward John Eyre who explored the area in July 1839. It was next explored and climbed in December 1839, by Governor Gawler, Captain Charles Sturt and party which included the young man, Henry Bryan, in whose honour Gawler named the feature. In 1842, the Colonial Surveyor, Lieutenant Edward Frome further explored the area and erected a cairn on the site. Frome is also reputed to have been the first European to ascend to the actual summit. He later again visited the area, at which time he climbed to the summit and made a number of sketches
|Address:||Mount Bryan Summit, Mount Bryan East , 5419|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.426944|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 6th December, 2002|
COMMEMORATING THE FATEFUL EXPEDITION OF COLONEL GAWLER (GOVERNOR OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA) AND CAPTAIN CHARLES STURT (SURVEYOR GENERAL) AND THEIR PARTY, WHO DISCOVERED MOUNT BRYAN ON A JOURNEY NORTHWEST FROM THE GREAT BEND IN THE RIVER MURRAY IN AN ATTEMPT TO FIND SUITABLE LAND FOR AGRICULTURE IN DECEMBER 1839
GOVERNOR GAWLER NAMED 'MOUNT BRYAN' ON 12 DECEMBER 1839 IN HONOUR OF HENRY BRYAN A MEMBER OF THE EXPEDITION, WHO BECAME LOST AND PERISHED ON THE RETURN JOURNEY TO THE RIVER MURRAY
COMMEMORATING THE EXPEDITION OF EDWARD JOHN EYRE AND HIS PARTY
THE FIRST EUROPEANS TO EXPLORE THE AREA WEST OF HALLETT ON A TREK TO THE NORTHERN AREAS OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA IN JULY 1839
COMMEMORATING THE EXPEDITION OF CAPTAIN EDWARD FROME (SURVEYOR GENERAL) AND HIS PARTY THE FIRST EUROPEANS TO SCALE MOUNT BRYAN IN 1842
FROM THIS SUMMIT CAPT. FROME SKETCHED AND NAMED 'THE RAZORBACK RANGE'
IN MEMORY OF OUR FOREFATHERS
JAMES TIVER J.P.
JAMES TIVER J.P.
GEORGE SAMUEL TIVER J.P.
DONALD EDGAR TIVER J.P.
(1903 - 1976)
THREE SUCCESSIVE TIVER GENERATIONS TO HOLD PASTORAL PROPERTY IN THE HALLETT AND YUNTA DISTRICTS
THIS CAIRN ERECTED BY THE TIVER FAMILY IN 2002 IN HONOUR OF OUR EARLY EXPLORERS AND SETTLERS