Centenary of the Official Naming of Jenolan CavesPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the Centenary of the official naming of Jenolan Caves in 1884.
The caves, then known as the Fish River Caves, came under New South Wales Government control in 1866, becoming only the second area in the world reserved for the purpose of conservation and the following year Jeremiah Wilson was appointed as the first "Keeper of the Caves".
The caves were open to tourism early, but there was little protection from visitors damaging formations until souveniring was banned in 1872. In 1884 the name Jenolan Caves was adopted. The name "Jenolan" comes from the Gundungurra word, "Genowlan", the for a "high place shaped like a foot".
|Address:||4655 Jenolan Caves Road, Grand Arch Entrance, Jenolan, 2790|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.818915|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||19-August-1884|
|Actual Event End Date:||19-August-1984|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 19th August, 1984|
The Official Naming of
(Formerly- "FISH RIVER CAVES")
19th AUGUST 1884
This Plaque Unveiled by
MR.HAROLD G.COATES, O.B.E.,
(Patron of J.C.H.A.P.S)
19th AUGUST 1984
Jenolan Caves Historical & Preservation Society