Centenary of Responsible Government in New South WalesPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the centenary of Responsible Government in New South Wales and is also a tribute to former aldermen and the incorporation of the Woolhara Council.
On 22 May 1856, the bicameral NSW Parliament opened and sat for the first time. The new Parliament of NSW was a bicameral (two House) Legislature, similar to that of England, consisting of an Upper House (Legislative Council) and Lower House (Legislative Assembly). The new Legislative Council was to consist of no fewer than 21 Members nominated by the Governor on the advice of his Executive Council and initially appointed for 5 years and thereafter for life. There were no property qualifications for appointment, but Public Servants could not be appointed.
In October 1859 a petition signed with the names of 144 interested locals proposed that 'Darling Point, Upper Paddington, and Watson's Bay' be formed into a municipal district under the provisions of the Municipalities Act of 1858. The Municipality of Woollahra was proclaimed on 20 April 1860 and the first elections were held the following month. The newly elected councillors met for the first time at the offices of Messrs. Rowley, Holdsworth and Garrick, solicitors, on 6 June. The title for the elected representatives of Woollahra has varied from the term ‘councillor’, used from 1860 until 1867, to ‘alderman’, used from 1868 until 1995, and again to ‘councillor’ which remains in use today. Similarly, the title ‘chairmen’ – used in 1860 – was exchanged for ‘mayor’ in 1868.
|Address:||536 New South Head Road, Woollahra Council Chambers, Double Bay, 2028|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.872824|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||22-May-1856|
|Actual Event End Date:||22-May-1956|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1956|