Department of Education Commemoration StonePrint Page
Stone laid in 1912 commemorates the construction of the Department of Education building.
The Education Department Building is an 8 storey office building occupying a whole city block. It was built in two stages around a central courtyard, and hence has two sets of lifts and stairs, now with modern galleries added around the courtyard to connect the two sides of the building. The Bridge Street stage was designed in the Edwardian Baroque style, with a strongly rusticated base, central porch with broken pediment, and a sequence of arched openings, ornamented balconies and friezes topped by a lofty parapet.
|Address:||Bridge Street & Loftus Streets, Department of Education Building , Sydney , 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.863583|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 7th September, 1912|
THIS COMMEMORATION STONE
Was Set By
THE HONOURABLE CAMPBELL CARMICHAEL
MINISTER FOR PUBLIC INSTRUCTION
7th SEPTEMBER 1912
The Hon. Arthur Griffith Peter Board Esq.
Minister For Public Works Director Of Education