Visit of Sailing Ketch FaliePrint Page
Plaque commemorates the visit to Port Pirie of the sailing ketch Falie during South Australia's Jubilee celbrations in 1986. South Australia celebrated the sesquicentenary (150th anniversary) of European settlement in 1986.
The Falie is a 46-metre (151 ft) ketch that traded for many years in Australian waters. Originally built in 1919 as the motor schooner collier Hollands Trouw, she was purchased by the Spencer's Gulf Transport Company, renamed, and used for coastal trading in South Australia. The Falie was then purchased by the Government of South Australia for preservation as a community and educational resource. The ship was restored for the state's sesquicentenary celebrations in 1986, with re-masting, new sails, and the fitting of accommodation and a galley
|Address:||Memorial Drive, Memorial Park, Port Pirie, 5540|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.179676|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
THIS IS TO COMMEMORATE
THE VISIT TO PORT PIRIE OF THE SAILING KETCH
ON THE 19TH FEBRUARY 1986,
SOUTH AUSTRALIA’S JUBILEE YEAR, AS PART OF
THE GRAIN TRADE RE-ENACTMENT
HIS WORSHIP THE MAYOR
W.J. JONES AM, JP