150th Anniversary of VictoriaPrint Page
Gunhouse Park was developed to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the foundation of the State of Victoria which was celebrated in 1984 and 1985.
Victoria's first successful British settlement was at Portland, on the west coast of what is now Victoria. Portland was settled on 19 November 1834 by the Henty family, who were originally farmers from Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania). Melbourne was founded in 1835 by John Batman. Victoria was officially created a separate colony in 1851, and achieved self government in 1855.
|Address:||Main Street, Eldorado, 3746|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.308792|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 6th April, 1985|
Gun house Park
Shire of Wangaratta
Growing together 1984-5
The development of this park was carried out as a co-operative effort by the Eldorado Community, the Shire of Wangaratta, and the Government of Victoria, and was done in commemoration of Victoria`s 150th anniversary in 1984 - 1985.
Unveiled on 6 April, 1985 by Mrs. Myrtle Milne oldest native resident of Eldorado
Stone from foundation Eldorado court house