Goulburn Court House Centenary Print Page
Plaque commemorates the centenary of the Goulburn Court House which was built in 1887.
Now in the course of erection upon a portion of the site of the old jail, facing Montague Street and which is fast approaching completion, will be one of the handsomest buildings in the provinces. The design is of Italian order with Ionic intermixed, and the courthouse consists of a main building with two wings attached.
The contract for the erection of the building was let in 1884 to Mr David Jones, then a resident of Bathurst, for the sum of £24,953 but it is expected that extras will bring the amount up to £30,000. In consequence of the delay in removing the prisoners from the old jail, Mr Jones did not begin work until August 1884, since which time the old jail has disappeared and the court building we are now describing has been erected and the finishing trades are in an advanced state. The contract expires about the end of the year. The stonework has been faithfully carried out by Mr J.W. Furber, and the carving throughout the building has been done by Mr Collins in an artistic style that shows him to have a thorough knowledge and great skill in his trade. The work has been done under the supervision of Mr James Farr, resident clerk of works for the southern district, with the assistance of Mr. W. Roylance, foreman of works in the colonial architect's department.
Goulburn Herald, 19th March 1887.
|Address:||4 Montague Street, Goulburn, 2580|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.755664|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1887|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1987|
|Monument Designer:||J.Barnet (architect) Mr Collins (Carving)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr David Jones (Builder) Mr J.W. Furber (Stonework)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Monday 12th October, 1987|
THE HONOURABLE TERRY SHEAHAN, B.A.,LL.B., M.P.,
ATTORNEY GENERAL OF NEW SOUTH WALES
AND MINISTER ASSISTING THE PREMIER
UNVEILED THIS PLAQUE ON 12TH OCTOBER ,1987
TO COMMEMORATE THE CENTENARY OF
THE GOULBURN COURTHOUSE
Designed in the office of J. Barnet , Colonial Architect
R.J.Webster, M.P., T.W.Haines LL.B.,
Member for Goulburn Secretary
Attorney General`s Department
Director of Public Works.