Sydney Harbour Trust CentenaryPrint Page
A wooden Bridge commemorates the centenary of the Sydney Harbour Trust which was established in 1901 to manage the Port of Sydney.
The Sydney Harbour Trust began operations on 1 November 1900 with responsibility for the Navigation Department and Marine Board of Sydney Harbour. The Trust, as governed by an act of the New South Wales Parliament consisted of three commissioners (including one titled as President - Walter Loveridge CMG ) appointed by the Governor of New South Wales. It was responsible for the improvement and preservation of Sydney's port. The trust regulated the movement of vessels and the handling of cargo in the port through a Harbour Master, carried out dredging operations, removed wrecks, granted licences for the erection of piers, maintained wharf facilities and collected wharfage rates, maintained swimming baths. The trust also managed fire fighting and other safety equipment within the harbour. All foreshores, lighthouses and tugs within the harbour which belonged to the Government were vested in the Trust, as well as the power to reclaim land. The Trust was wound up in 1936 with the establishment of the Maritime Services Board.
|Address:||Prince of Wales Drive , Molineaux Point, Port Botany, 2036|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.98415|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1901|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2001|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Thursday 8th March, 2001|
Sydney Ports Corporation
welcomes you to Molineaux Point
This bridge commemorates the centenary
of the Sydney Harbour Trust, established on
11th February 1901 to manage the port of Sydney.
The bridge is made of 100 year old timber recycled from
the Sydney Harbour Trust's No.6 and No. 7 wharves
at Walsh Bay in Sydney Harbour.
Opened by Mr David Field, Chairman of Sydney Ports Corporation, on 8th March 2001.