The Rocks Ambulance StationPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the ambulance station and the staff which operated at theThe Rocks from 1927 to 1990. The unveiling represents the first commemoration of paramedic staff both past and present.
The Rocks Station staff attended many of the city’s most well known call outs from casualties involved in the construction of the Sydney Harbour Bridge to the Granville train disaster on the 18th January 1977 and the Sydney Hotel Hilton bombing 13th February 1978. In 1976, the first intensive care paramedics commenced training and operations from this building.
|Address:||73 George Street , Ken Duncan Gallery , The Rocks , 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.858675|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1927|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1990|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Wednesday 26th June, 2013|
(left side of plaque )
1927 - 1990
(right side of plaque )
From 1927 to 1990 many skilled men and women of the NSW Ambulance Service served the community of Sydney from this site.
By the early 20th century, motorised ambulances had replaced horse drawn vehicles and modern ambulance stations were needed. This building housed the George Street North Ambulance Station, one of the State's first motorised ambulance services.
In 1976 the first intensive care paramedics commenced training and operations from this building. These officers were trained to carry out advanced medical procedures previously only undertaken by doctors.
Ambulance officers from this service assisted the many workers injured during the construction of the Sydney Harbour Bridge in the 1920s and were the first on the scene following the Sydney Hilton Hotel terrorist bombing in 1978.
This site is dedicated to the many past and present ambulance officers who have served and continue to serve the communities of NSW.
Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority
Ambulance Service of New South Wales.