www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Recommencement of Municipal Government (Davies Memorial) Print Page Print this page

Recommencement of Local Government : 13-October-2012
Recommencement of Local Government : 13-October-2012

Photographs supplied by Roger Johnson / Peter F Williams

Memorial commemorates the recommencement of municipal government in 1868.  Alderman William Davies, who erected the stone at the time, was the Mayor of Goulburn and also a member of the Legislative Assembly.

The original memorial was removed after being damaged by a bullock dray and is located at St Clair Museum & Archives in Sloane Street.  This replica of the original monument was installed in the park in 2010.

The nomination of candidates for the municipal borough of Goulburn took place yesterday at the courthouse.  The Returning Officer opened the meeting, explaining the circumstances under which the election was about to be held. It was hoped that they would perform their duties well, and that the proceedings, would be distinguished by the same good humour that usually characterized the people of Goulburn. He had under the 66th clause to read the names of the candidates and their proposers. Provision was made for allowing candidates to retire, but none was made for apprising them that they had been nominated. He had therefore thought it as well to advertise their names but this was only for their information and had nothing to do with the Act. He then proceeded to read the names of the different candidates.
The Goulburn Herald and Chronicle (NSW), 5th February 1868.

Location

Address:Market & Auburn Streets, Belmore Park, Goulburn, 2580
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.754763
Long: 149.71974
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Local

Dedication

Front Inscription

 MAYOR
DAVIES
   1868

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design