Final Council MeetingPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the final meeting of the Geelong City Council which operated for 144 years.
Geelong became a Local Government entity under the Incorporation of the Town of Geelong Act (an Act of NSW Parliament) on 12 October 1849. The Town of Geelong Act allowed the citizens of Geelong to elect their own Council and govern the local area. This happened before Victoria was proclaimed a State in 1851.
Victoria's Local Government reform began in 1993 when the State Government introduced legislation to combine more than 200 small local Councils into 78 larger Councils (now 79). Geelong was the first region to go through amalgamation. Six local Councils and part of a seventh (Barrabool) were formed into one large municipality called the City of Greater Geelong (18 May 1993).
|Address:||Gheringhap Street, City Hall, Geelong, 3220|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.147275|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||10-May-1993|
|Actual Event End Date:||10-May-1993|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||1992|
This plaque commemorates the final meeting of the Council of the City of Geelong held on 10th May 1993 after 144 years of continuous service to the Geelong community
[ Names of councillors ]