www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Aldermen of the First CouncilPrint Page Print this page

20-December-2015
20-December-2015

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

The gates were erected in 1912 to commemorate George Donald, Robert Cherry, David Murray, Thomas Tudor, Edward Turnbull and Thomas Swain, the aldermen of the first council of the municipality incorporated on the 11th December 1871.

The ceremonies, in connection with the opening of memorial gates, dedication of presentation seats, and the installation of the electric lIght in Gregson Park. Hamilton, took place on Saturday. The first two functions eventuated in the afternoon and the last in the evening. The first steps towards the dedicatlon of the park were taken in 1885 when Alderman Keddie and Coppard, who were then in the the council, moved in that direction. Since then about £4000 has been spent by the council in beautifying and improving the park. All of that sum, however, was not taken from the municipal funds, but a great deal of it represented grants from the different Governments. The Mayor then presented a statement showing that the total.cost of the gates amounted to £159 10s; which with the exception of a small sum which he expected some friends to donate that day, had been subscribed by relatives of the pioneer councillors and other well-wishers.  
Excerpt from Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate (NSW),  
 2 December 1912.

Location

Address:Tudor & Steel Streets, Gregson Park, Hamilton, 2303
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.923446
Long: 151.743857
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Gates
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Local

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 30th November, 1912
Left Side Inscription

      Presented
        to the
Citizens of Hamilton
             by
Henry Latham Esq
Edward Broom Esq
E. G. Yeomans Esq
The Relatives Of The
First Aldermen Of The
Municipality And Of The Late

William Hutchison
David Smith And
Andrew Adamson

W. R. Alexander Esq. J.P.  
                       Mayor

Right Side Inscription

      These
     Gates
Were Erected
to the Memory of 
George Donald J.P
Robert Cherry
David Murray J.P
Thomas Tudor
Edward Turnbull
and Thomas Swain
The Aldermen Of The First
Council Of The
Hamilton Municipality
Incorporated 1
1th Dec. 1871.

Source: MA,H
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design