Centenary of Local GovernmentPrint Page
A plaque commemorates the centenary of local government of the Jamestown Corporation.
Settlers were granted local government in 1875 when the District Council of Belalie was gazetted in November of that year. Its first meeting was held at the Jamestown Hotel when John Chapman was elected Chairman and William Goodes, Samuel Pearce, Joseph Thyer, and Albert Trilling councillors. It was from these early beginnings that resulted in the formation in July 1878 of the Jamestown Corporation.
The Corporate Town of Jamestown was proclaimed on 25 July 1878, severing the seven-year old settlement of Jamestown from the surrounding District Council of Belalie. The first mayor was John Cockburn, later Premier of South Australia, with George Hingston Lake as town clerk. Under the new council, it instituted a tree-planting program from 1879, reportedly the first town in rural South Australia to do so.
|Address:||73 Ayr Street, Jamestown Memorial Hall, Jamestown, 5491|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.205654|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||25-July-1878|
|Actual Event End Date:||25-July-1978|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1978|
This Plaque Commemorates The
Centenary Of Local Government
Of The Corporation Of The Town
1878 - 1978