www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Williamstown JubileePrint Page Print this page

Williamstown Jubilee
Williamstown Jubilee

Photographs supplied by Kent Watson

Drinking fountain erected to commemorate the Jubilee of the municipality of Williamstown. The fountain was turned on the 1st April 1907. 

Today the jubilee fountain Williamstown Botanic Gardens was turned on and made available to public. In shape the new fountain is somewhat similar to that at the intersection of Elizabeth and Collins, Melbourne. The cap and base are of Harcourt granite, the columns of Gabo Island granite, and the foundation of flagged bluestone. The fountain bears the inscription. "Erected by the Council and Citizens of Williamstown in Commemoration of the Jubilee of the Municipality. F.H. Bolton, Mayor, 1906." The fountain was designed by the town surveyor, Mr. H.V. Champion, and was erected by Mr. E. Bliss, monumental mason. 
The Herald (Vic), 1 April, 1907. 

Location

Address:Giffard Street, Botanic Gardens, Williamstown, 3016
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.867817
Long: 144.897272
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Fountain
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Local
Approx. Event Start Date:1856
Approx. Event End Date:1906
Monument Designer:Mr H V Champion
Monument Manufacturer:Mr E. Bliss

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1906
Front Inscription

ERECTED By The COUNCIL And
CITIZENS of WILLIAMSTOWN 
IN COMMEMORATION Of The
JUBILEE Of The MUNICIPALITY 
       1856- 1906
F.H. BOLTON Mayor 1906

Source: MA,VMR,RHSV
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design