Glebe SesquicentenaryPrint Page
A plaque states that the revitalisation of Foley Park and the Wireless House was undertaken to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Local Government in Glebe 1859 -2009.
In the reign of George III, the Church of England was the Church dominant in Australia. Nonconformists were fined for not attending the parish church, the infant colony was divided into parishes, and large areas or glebe lands were set aside for the support of the Church. An area of 435 acres between Parramatta-road and Blackwattle and Rozelle bays was granted to the Church as St. Philip's Glebe.
Trustees were appointed 35 years after by Governor Ralph Darling, and certain portions of the glebe were auctioned. Hon. George Allen secured a block overlooking Johnston's Bay, and founded the Toxteth Park Estate. Ambrose Foss, a Sydney chemist, purchased another, built Forest Lodge Cottage, and made the nucleus of a suburb. Dr. Bowman built and founded Lyndhurst College; Captain Dumaresq, Captain Korff, and others secured lots, and gradually St. Phillip's Glebe became a residential district, known to all the city folk as The Glebe. The population of the glebe lands increased until, in 1859, the residents felt that they were quite equal to municipal honours. A movement was inaugurated with that end In view, and on August 1, Glebe became a municipality.
Except from Glebe Celebrations, Story of a Municipality
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 2 August 1909.
|Address:||140 Glebe Point Road (corner of Glebe Point & Bridge Roads), Dr. H.J. Foley Rest Park, Glebe , 2037|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.880391|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1859|
|Approx. Event End Date:||2009|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 26th September, 2009|
To mark the Glebe Sesquicentenary the City of Sydney revitalised the iconic Dr H J Foley Park and its historic "Wireless House"
Officially opened by Clover Moore MP
26 September 2009.
Designed and constructed by Aspet Studios and Landscape 2000 Pty. Ltd.
Wireless House 'reactivation' by Dr Nigel Heiyer supported by the National Film and Sound Archive.
CITY OF SYDNEY city of villages