www.monumentaustralia.org.au

50th Anniversary of Newcastle City Hall (CORM)Print Page Print this page

24-June-2015
24-June-2015

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown
B.H.P Newcastle Steelworks presented the 1.5 metre bronze sculpture "CORM" by Marilyn McGrath to the Newcastle City Council in December 1979 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the opening of the Newcastle Town Hall. 

Opened in 1929, Newcastle City Hall is one of Newcastle’s most unique and prestigious buildings. Its architecture includes sandstone walls and columns, marble staircases, a clocktower and sweeping staircase and ballroom. 

Commissioned to be built by the newly elected Mayor, Morris Light, in 1925, Newcastle City Hall became home to an amalgamation of eleven Municipal Councils and part of two shires into a newly formed Newcastle City Council.

Newcastle City Hall was designed by acclaimed architect Henry Eli White (architect also of the associated Civic Theatre at Newcastle). The Australian architect S. N. Kenworthy, the influential designer J. V. Rowe and the artist Fred Sutherland collaborated on the interiors.

Following the transfer of staff and administrative offices to the new City Administration Centre in 1977, the Council considered the future usage of the Newcastle City Hall. Although the building was nearly fifty years old, it was architecturally very sound and large enough to be adapted to provide a civic venue for a multitude of purposes. It was agreed that the Newcastle City Hall should be converted into a multipurpose Function/Conference venue to fulfil all these requirements.

Location

Address:King Street, Newcastle City Hall, Newcastle, 2300
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -32.927913
Long: 151.772591
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Sculpture
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Local
Approx. Event Start Date:1929
Approx. Event End Date:1979
Monument Designer:Marilyn McGrath

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1980
Front Inscription
         CORM
by Marilyn McGrath
Given to the people of Newcastle
by B.H.P. Newcastle Steelworks to 
mark the 50th Anniversary of
Newcastle City Hall 
        1980
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design