Municipality of the Shire of Rodney Centenary Print Page
A plaque commemorates the centenary of the Shire of Rodney.
The Shire of Rodney was a local government area in the Goulburn Valley region, about 170 kilometres (106 mi) north of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia, located between Kyabram and Shepparton.
The Shire of Rodney was severed and incorporated on 19 March 1886. Following the secession of the Town of Kyabram on 1 April 1954, the eastern part of the shire, adjoining Shepparton and centred on Mooroopna, which had become home to the Ardmona fruit cannery in 1922, unsuccessfully attempted to secede from Rodney, a move driven by the town's Chamber of Commerce.
On 18 November 1994, the Shire of Rodney was abolished, and, along with the City of Shepparton and the Shire of Shepparton and some neighbouring districts, was merged into the newly created City of Greater Shepparton. The Kyabram hinterland and some land around Lake Waranga were transferred to the newly created Shire Campaspe.
|Address:||12-16 Casey Street, Tatura Library, Tatura, 3616|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.441389|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 14th June, 1986|
COMMEMORATING THE CENTENARY OF THE
MUNICIPALITY OF THE SHIRE OF RODNEY
THIS PLAQUE WAS UNVEILED BY
THE HONOURABLE J.L.SIMMONDS, M.P.,
MINISTER FOR LOCAL GOVERNMENT
14TH JUNE, 1986.
SHIRE PRESIDENT, CR J.P.C. GRAY, J.P.
CR. J.E.BELL CR.E.C.DAVIS
CR.A.R. CLEMENT CR.K.F.RYAN
CR.A.CRAWFORD CR G.C.GOULDEN
SHIRE SECRETARY SHIRE ENGINEER
MR.J.L. PURDEY MR.T.W.ALFORD