www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Shire of RodneyPrint Page Print this page

20-August-2014
20-August-2014

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

A fountain commemorates the centenary of the Shire of Rodney.

Rodney was initially part of the Waranga Road District, which was incorporated in 1863, and became a shire two years later. The Shire of Rodney was severed and incorporated on 19 March 1886. Following the secession of the Town of Kyabram on 1 April 1954, the eastern part of the shire, adjoining Shepparton and centred on Mooroopna, which had become home to the Ardmona fruit cannery in 1922, unsuccessfully attempted to secede from Rodney, a move driven by the town's Chamber of Commerce.

On 18 November 1994, the Shire of Rodney was abolished, and, along with the City of Shepparton and the Shire of Shepparton and some neighbouring districts, was merged into the newly created City of Greater Shepparton. The Kyabram hinterland and some land around Lake Waranga were transferred to the newly created Shire of Campaspe.

 

Location

Address:McLennan & Young Streets, Rodney Place , Mooroopna, 3629
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -36.394713
Long: 145.359193
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Fountain
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Local
Actual Event STart Date:19-March-1886
Actual Event End Date:19-March-1986

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Sunday 15th June, 1986
Front Inscription

This Fountain Commemorates
The Centenary Of
The Shire Of Rodney
15th June, 1986
Inaugurated By
Cr. J. P. C. Gray, J.P.
Shire President

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design