Municipality of Rockdale Centenary Print Page
A plaque commemorates the centenary of the proclamation of Rockdale as a municipality.
The City of Rockdale was originally known as the West Botany Municipality. The Municipality of West Botany was declared on 13 January 1871 and covered 9 square miles (23 km2) in 1884. It included much of the land which was later used to build Sydney Airport. The West Botany name was officially changed to Rockdale in 1887, when land was being sub-divided for residential development. The Municipality of Rockdale was declared a city in 1995, and is now known as the City of Rockdale.
|Address:||448 Princes Highway (Cnr Bryant Street), Rockdale Town Hall , Rockdale, 2216|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.950599|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 13th February, 1971|
MUNICIPALITY OF ROCKDALE
TO COMMEMORATE THE CENTENARY OF
THE PROCLAMATION OF THE MUNICIPALITY
THIS PLAQUE WAS UNVEILED BY
HIS WORSHIP THE MAYOR ALDERMAN R.W.RATHBONE
ON 13TH FEBRUARY, 1971.
ALDERMEN OF THE COUNCIL