Geelong West Municipality CentenaryPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the centenary of Geelong West municipality in 1975. The pavilion of the Geelong West Tennis Club was rebuilt during the centenary celebrations.
During the mid 1850s there was local agitation for municipal separation from the Geelong town council. Twenty years of effort were rewarded on 29 May, 1875, when the Geelong West borough was proclaimed. Its western and eastern boundaries were McCurdy Road and La Trobe Terrace respectively, and the northern and southern boundaries more or less Church Street and Aberdeen Street.
|Address:||Arnott Street, Geelong West Tennis Club, Geelong West, 3218|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.143426|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1875|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1975|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 9th August, 1975|
1875 CITY OF GEELONG WEST 1975
WAS REBUILT AND EXTENDED WITH FUNDS PROVIDED BY
THE AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT, AND OFFICIALLY OPENED BY
HIS WORSHIP THE MAYOR, CR L.J. KEAVY,
DURING THE MUNICIPALITY’S CENTENARY CELEBRATIONS
ON 9TH AUGUST, 1975