St Matthias Coronation Gates Print Page
A stone fence and memorial gates were designed by Arthur Blacket, son of Edmund Blacket, to commemorate the coronation of King Edward VII and the consecration of the church in 1902.
The second of a series of coronation celebrations took place in connection with St Matthias Church, Paddington, on Saturday afternoon when Brigadier General Finn laid the last stone of the wall that has recently been erected along the Oxford-street frontage to the church grounds. There was a large attendance. The Royal Australian Artillery Band was present and played a number of selections. The Rev. J. W. Gillett conducted the proceedings and explained that it was appropriate that Brigadier-General Finn should perform the ceremony that day as St. Matthias was a garrison church, and that each Sunday men from the Victoria Barracks attended the service. A bottle containing the programme of the coronation services to be held in connection with the church in the coming week and a report of the past year's work was placed under the stone. Brigadier-General Finn was presented with a silver spirit level, and after fixing the large stone into position declared it "well and truly laid."
Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 23 June 1902.
|Address:||471-475 Oxford Street, St Matthias Church, Paddington, 2021|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.889075|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 21st June, 1902|