Queen VictoriaPrint Page
Photographs supplied by Arthur Garland
The black oaks which line the avenue were planted to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897. The avenue leading from Main Road, New Town, to the Orphan School buildings was an integral part of John Lee Archer's original design for the church.
Although Blackburn's watch houses were not built until 1841, Charles Bruce's etching in 1831 depicts two watchhouses in a similar location. While there is no evidence that they were built, the avenue itself was an original strong design feature. Blackburn's watch houses still stand at the entrance to St John's Avenue.
In the 1920s, the Church of England red-brick rectory was constructed at the end of the avenue, near St John's Church. A smaller weatherboard building, now used as St John's Parish Centre, was constructed opposite at a much later date.
On 23 September 1896, Victoria surpassed her grandfather George III as the longest-reigning monarch in English, Scottish, and British history. The Queen requested that any special celebrations be delayed until 1897, to coincide with her Diamond Jubilee, which was made a festival of the British Empire at the suggestion of Colonial Secretary Joseph Chamberlain.
|Address:||St John`s Avenue, St John`s Church, New Town, 7008|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.854883|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||20-June-1837|
|Actual Event End Date:||20-June-1897|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1897|
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au