Queen VictoriaPrint Page
The Technical College was built as a memorial to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897.
At a public meeting in January 1897, it was decided to commemorate Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee by erecting a new technical college. The local community raised £1000, and with a government grant of £2000 work began on a site granted by the city council in the Central Gardens.
On 23 September 1896, Victoria surpassed her grandfather George III as the longest-reigning monarch in English, Scottish, and British history. The Queen requested that any special celebrations be delayed until 1897, to coincide with her Diamond Jubilee, which was made a festival of the British Empire at the suggestion of Colonial Secretary Joseph Chamberlain.
Ipswich. June 29. The ceremony, of laying the foundation stone of the Technical College building was performed by His Excellency Lord Lamington this afternoon. The movement for the erection of this building dates back to 1897, when it was proposed to erect a building as a permanent memento of the Diamond Jubilee, and, although the matter was left in abeyance for a time, it was subsequently taken up, and carried to a successful issue by the Diamond Jubilee and Technical College Committees combined.
The Brisbane Courier (Qld), 30 June 1900.
|Address:||88 Limestone Street, Ipswich, 4305|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.615083|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||George Brockwell Gill (architect)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||H. Woodford|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Friday 29th June, 1900|
AUSPICIUM MELIORIS AEVI
DIAMOND 1897 JUBILEE TECHNICAL COLLEGE MEMORIAL
G.Brockwell Gill, Architect.
In commemoration of H.M.QUEEN VICTORIA'S Diamond Jubilee, June 1897.
This Memorial Stone Was Laid By HIS EXCELLENCY THE GOVERNOR, LORD LAMINGTON. K.G.C.M.G. June 27 (sic), 1900
P.Brown, Mayor A.Hayne
Chairman of Committee Secretary.