Torrens Lake FountainPrint Page
Torrens Lake Fountain commemorates the first visit to South Australia by a reigning monarch, Queen Elizabeth II. With 16 jets of water 10.6m high with a central jet of 21m, this fountain was put into operation in 1954 at the precise moment Queen Elizabeth 11 alighted from her aircraft at Parafield.
Early arrivals in the city this morning had a preview of the Torrens Lake fountain in action. It was given a successful trial about 6 o'clock. The fountain, with a central jet of 60 ft. is one of the most important of the Royal visit decorations. It was built by Adelaide City Council as a permanent reminder of the visit.
News (Adelaide, SA), 3 February 1954.
|Address:||King William Road, West of Adelaide Bridge, Adelaide, 5000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.917526|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1954|