King Edward VIIPrint Page Print this page

A window commemorating the coronation of King Edward VII was presented to the Adelaide City Council by Arthur Muller Simpson. The  Window shows King Edward VII in Field-Marshal`s uniform with the Royal and Adelaide Corporation Arms and the names of the members of the Adelaide City Council.

The Coronation window, which Mr. A. M. Simpson is presenting to the Adelaide Corporation, is completed, and can be seen at Mr. E F. Troy's workshop in Flinders street.  When the mayor (Mr Cohen) returns to the city the window will be put in the Council Chamber. The window was designed by Mr. R Elliott, and executed entirely by Mr. Troy's employees.  Its excellence in every detail is staking proof of the high standard of development this art has reached in Adelaide. The window is 115 in. by 46 in. It shows a remarkable likeness of the King, wearing field marshal's uniform beneath his Coronation robes of purple and ermine.  His right hands holds the sceptre, and beside him is a richly carved table, whereon the Crown is placed upon a cushion of ruby velvet. Behind the figure appears an elaborate diapered curtain of low toned green, end above this there is an ornamental work of flowers and foliage.  

The whole is enclosed by an elegant canopy, worked in white and gold.  At the base of the window the Royal arms are emblazoned. They are encircled by the historic garter and motto, "Honi soit qui mal y pense." This is balanced on the other side of the window by the city arms and motto, "Ut prosint omnibus conjuncti." Lower down comes "Dieu et mon Droit," and the name of the donor of the window. A decorated scroll, and the words "In commemoration of the Coronation of Edward VII." are prominent at the apex of the light.
The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA), 23 January 1903.


Address:128 King William Street, Adelaide Town Hall , Adelaide, 5000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.926147
Long: 138.599958
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Window
Monument Theme:Government


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 16th February, 1903
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design