Queen VictoriaPrint Page
A fountain commemorates Queen Victoria`s record reign in 1897.
In 1897 the Australian colonies, like British colonies elsewhere, enthusiastically celebrated Queen Victoria`s Diamond Jubilee, the Sixtieth Anniversary of her accession to the throne. In Ryde the record reign celebrations were initiated by the Rev Henry Ham Britten, the incumbent of St Anne`s Church. Subscriptions were collected and Arthur Collingridge, Vice-President of the Art Society of New South Wales and a resident of Ryde, proposed that the money be used to erect a drinking fountain.
By the 1920s, increasing motor traffic, led to the removal of the fountain from its original location to the small reserve at the intersection of Victoria and Blaxland Road. In 1973 Ryde Rotary Club carried out landscaping works to the area surrounding the fountain and at the same time turned the monument into an ornamental fountain. In 1997 the Ryde Heritage Taskforce wrapped the fountain to commemorate its 100th Anniversary. An unwrapping ceremony was held on Sunday, 27 April, 1997.
|Address:||Blaxland & Victoria Road, Benson Place, Ryde, 2112|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.816418|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 30th October, 1897|
THE PEOPLE OF RYDE
THE RECORD REIGN
OF HER MAJESTY
1837 - 1897