www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Visit of the Duke of GloucesterPrint Page Print this page

26-March-2016
26-March-2016
Photographs supplied by John Huth

The plaque commemorates the naming of Gloucester Road in honour of the Duke of Gloucester's visit in 1934. The Gloucester Centre has also been named after the Duke of Gloucester. 

In 1934, Prince Henry, the Duke of Gloucester and son of King George V, made a two day visit to Buderim. To commemorate the visit the road from Orme Road to Main Road was renamed Gloucester Road in 1935.

Dealing with the beach improvements scheme for Mooloolaba and Point Cartwright, Councillor Murphy said that the plans and specifications had been passed. The cost would be £306, and the Buderim end of the division would not be expected to pay any extra rate to meet the expenses of the loan. The subcommltee for the naming of the streets has completed the work, one of the principal streets being called Gloucester Road, in honour of the Duke's visit, and another Orme Road, after the Governor. 
Courier-Mail (Brisbane), 31 July 1935. 


Note: The plaque states that the Duke of Gloucester visited Buderim in November 1934. The Duke stayed at Buderim on the 8th & 9th December 1934. 

Location

Address:Gloucester Road, Buderim, 4556
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -26.684233
Long: 153.054991
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Road
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Imperial
Approx. Event Start Date:November-1934
Approx. Event End Date:November-1934

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1935
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design