Prince Albert Print Page
A stained glass window commemorates of Prince Albert, Consort of Queen Victoria.
Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha ( later The Prince Consort; 26 August 1819 – 14 December 1861) was the husband of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. He died at the early age of 42, plunging the Queen into a deep mourning that lasted for the rest of her life. Upon Queen Victoria's death in 1901, their eldest son, Edward VII, succeeded as the first British monarch of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, named after the ducal house to which Albert belonged.
A memorial window for H.R.H. the late Prince Consort has been erected in Trinity Church, Kew. It is a four-light window with tracery. The main lights contain figures of the four Evangelists, each surmounted with his emblem and a richly-foliated canopy. Under the figures are four subjects illustrating the birth, baptism, crucifixion and resurrection of our saviour. The principal compartment of the tracery is filled with a representation of our Saviour on a throne surrounded by seven cherubims. The other compartments are filled in with emblems, consisting of the Pelican feeding its young with its own blood, the Lamb and Banner, and the Alpha and Omega. At one end of the inscription at the bottom are the arms of Prince Albert, and at the other end the same, quartered with the Royal arms. The inscription runs thus:- “To the glory of the Most Holy Trinity, and in memory of his Royal Highness Prince Albert, Consort of Queen Victoria, who died A.D. 1861, this window was erected A.D. 1864.” Antique glass has been the material used, the richness of tone and color of which adds to the beauty of the design and workmanship. It has been produced at the works of Messrs. Ferguson and Urie, glass-stainers, Curzon street, North Melbourne, and the finished and superior style of workmanship reflects great credit on the firm.
The Sydney Morning Herald, 2nd May 1864.
|Address:||Pakington & High Street, Holy Trinity Church , Kew, 3101|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.805425|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Messrs. Ferguson and Urie|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1864|