Federation BellsPrint Page
The Federation Bells are bronze-alloy bells on galvanised-steel poles that was commissioned by the Victorian government in 1998, as part of commemorative celebrations for the centenary of Australian Federation in 1901.
The Federation Bells comprises 39 upturned bells of differing sizes, mounted on poles ranging from two to six metres high. The size of each bell determines its pitch, and collectively the pitch ranges over four octaves. Most of the bells are harmonic and very pure in their tone; seven are polytonal, so able to play more than one pitch with a single hammer strike.
|Address:||Exhibition Street, Birrarung Marr, Melbourne, 3000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.818732|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Neil McLachlan & Anton Hasell in collaboration with Swaney Draper Architects|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 26th January, 2002|