Eureka Soldiers MemorialPrint Page
The Memorial commemorates the soldiers of the 40th and 12th Regiment of Foot who died in the attack on the Eureka Stockade.
In 1879 a number of Ballarat citizens requested that Member of Parliament William Collard Smith persuade the government to erect a monument. The monument is an obelisk of Waurn Ponds limestone on a bluestone base, which incorporates marble slab inserts on the east and west faces, with scrolls on each face carrying the word “Victoria” and on the north and south sides the word “Duty” was carved.
Close to the monument are two tombstones that list the soldiers who died.
|Address:||Creswick Road & Macarthur Street, Cemetery, Ballarat, 3350|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.548319|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-December-1854|
|Actual Event End Date:||03-December-1854|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||1878|
THE ENCLOSING FENCE
ANNO DOMINI MDCCCLXXIX
GOVERNMENT of VICTORIA
AT THE REQUEST
CITIZENS of BALLARAT
In this place, with other soldiers and civilians of the military camp then in Ballaarat, were buried the remains of the British soldiers [ Names ] who fell dead or fatally wounded at the Eureka Stockade, in brave devotion to duty, on Sunday 3rd December, 1854, whilst attacking a band of aggrieved diggers in arms against what they regarded as a tyrannous administration.
Not far west from this spot lie the remains of some of the diggers who fell in their courageous but misdirected endeavour to secure the freedom which soon afterwards came in the form of manhood suffrage and constitutional government