Canadian Exiles MonumentPrint Page
Monument commemorates the French Canadian Exiles.
In 1837 and 1838 there were revolts in Lower Canada (now known as Quebec) by French Canadian Patriots who held a number of grievances against British government rule, most notably the need for greater participation in government and an increase in the legislative power of the lower house. Following the crushing of the revolts some of the rebels were executed while others were sentenced to transportation.
In 1840 the ship Buffalo transported 91 English speaking rebels to Tasmania and 58 French speaking Canadians to New South Wales. They were sent to the Longbottom Stockade a less severe prison however conditions were still harsh for the convicts. At first there was no bedding while food and clothing was of poor quality. Work included breaking stones for the construction of Parramatta Road. Many of them collected oyster shells along the shores of Parramatta River to be be made into lime, a commodity then in high demand for building purposes.
In 1842 the good behaviour of the French Canadians led to their being granted a ticket-of-leave which allowed them to work outside the Stockade. They found work in the colony as clerks, gardeners, builders and in saw milling. Some worked in the construction of the Victoria Barracks in Paddington. Free pardons were granted to the French Canadians between November 1843 and February 1844.
Eventually all but three of the Canadian Exiles returned to Canada: two died while one, Joseph Marceau, married a local women and settled at Dapto. Longbottom Stockade was located in the vicinity of present day Concord Oval, St Luke`s Park and Cintra Park.
|Address:||Burwood Road, Bayview Park, Canada Bay, 2046|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.857764|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1984|