Great Meeting of Diggers Print Page
Sculpture at Lawson's Bridge gifted to the community by Rotary International to celebrate their 75th anniversary commemorates the Great Meeting of Diggers in 1851.
|Address:||Pyrenees Highway, Lawsons Bridge, entrance to Chewton, Chewton, 3451|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.082054|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Geoff Hocking|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Neil Tait (Fabrication)|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2010|
'THE GREAT MEETING OF DIGGERS.'
ON 15 DECEMBER 1851 MORE THAN 10,000 DIGERS GATHERED NEAR THE OLD SHEPHERD`S HUT AND RAISED THE DIGGER BANNER IN AT THE GOVERNMENT LICENCE FEE ON THE VICTORIAN GOLDFIELDS. THIS WAS THE FIRST OF MANY AGITATIONS AGINST UNFAIR TAXES ON THE DIGGINGS, CULMINATION IN THE BATTLE OF EUREKA THREE YEARS LATER. THE BANNER SHOWS THE DIGGERS ARMS (PICK AND SHOVEL). THE SCALES OF JUSTICE; A BUNDLE OF STICKS ( FASCES) AND THE KANGAROO AND EMU ( AUSTRALIA)
GIFTED TO THE COMMUNITY BY THE ROTARY CLUB
In celebration of their 75th Anniversary in Castlemaine in 2010.
Designed by Geoff Hocking/ Fabricated by Neil Tait