www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Traylan Native Police Memorial Print Page Print this page

Traylan Native Police Memorial : 13-10-2013
Traylan Native Police Memorial : 13-10-2013

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

Cairn commemorates the Traylan Native Police.

The corps of Native Police was established in the early 1840`s and soon after Captain Frederick `Filibuster` Walker was appointed officer in charge and he established his headquarters at Callandoon (Goondiwindi). Under Walker the `success` of the Native Police Corp was measured by their ability to protect settlers by suppressing aboriginal conflict using enforced tranquillity and assimilation. Members of the Corps, dressed in uniforms of blue jackets with blue or white trousers, were recruited from southern tribes.

In 1864 David Thomas Seymour was appointed Queensland`s first Commissioner of Police, a position which embraced both the Queensland Police Force and the Native Mounted Police Corps. At the time there were 137 Native Police in 14 detachments stationed at various centres throughout the state. The Native mounted Police Corps was dissolved in 1900.

Location

Address:Burnett Highway, George Spencer Memorial Rest Area, Ceratodus, 4627
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -25.281913
Long: 151.138887
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Government
Sub-Theme:Colonial

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 21st November, 1987
Front Inscription

                          TRAYLAN
                        1852 -1856

SITE OF A NATIVE OUTPOST MARKED BY A ROCK CAIRN APPROXIMATELY 1 MILE DOWNSTREAM OF THIS POINT. THIS BARRACKS WAS THE FIRST POLICE PRESENCE IN THE NORTH BURNETT AND WAS ATTACHED TO THE N.S.W.POLICE CORP.
ERECTED BY ADAM GRANT FOR A COST OF 150.00 POUNDS IT CONSISTED OF A COMMANDANT'S HOUSE. KITCHEN. SERGEANT'S HUT,  POLICE BARRACKS AND ARMOURY.
THE CLOSING OF THE BARRACKS LED TO THE REMOVAL OF THE NATIVE POLICE TO WIDE BAY. THE SLABS WERE SOLD FOR 25.00 POUNDS TO J C MACKAY AND REMOVED TO DALGANGAL.

                               UNVEILED BY
   REGIONAL SUPERINTENDENT OF POLICE
      A.J. WILSON A.M. APM. JP. M.P.R.I.A
                               21-11-87
ERECTED BY EIDSVOLD AND DISTRICT HISTORICAL SOCIETY
 

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design