Australian Federation ConventionPrint Page Print this page

Plaque erected by the Royal Geographical Society of South Australia and unveiled by Governor Norrie commemorates the Australian Federation Convention meeting in Adelaide from the 22nd March to the 5th May 1897.

At the Australasian Federation Conference held in Melbourne from 6 to 14 February 1890, leading politicians from the six Australian colonies and New Zealand affirmed the desirability of ‘an early union under the crown’ and committed themselves to persuading their governments to send delegates to a convention which would ‘consider and report’ on a scheme for a federal constitution. Accordingly, the members of the National Australasian Convention of 1891 which met in Sydney from 2 March to 9 April did not debate whether the colonies should federate but how. They devoted themselves to finding a draft constitution to which they could agree and which they could take back to their legislatures for discussion and endorsement. When the Australasian Federal Convention met, in three sessions, in Adelaide Sydney and Melbourne in 1897 and early 1898, the delegates modified the draft produced in 1891. The Australian Constitution was contained in the Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Bill, which was endorsed by the voters of each Australian colony at referendums in 1898, 1899 and 1900, passed by the British Parliament, and given Royal Assent on 9 July 1900.


Address:North Terrace , Parliament House, Adelaide, 5000
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.921405
Long: 138.598829
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Government
Actual Event STart Date:22-March-1897
Actual Event End Date:05-May-1897
Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design