H.M. Colonial Sloop Victoria Print Page
A cairn with swivel link from the Colonial Steam Sloop Victoria commemorates Australia's first warship. The cairn was erected by the council and local progress association in 1959.
This smart and beautiful sloop of war the launch of which we noticed in July last is now ready for sea, and will leave the Thames in a few days for Melbourne. She has been ordered in this country by the Colonial Government, and is the first instance of our Australian colonists providing themselves with maritime protection; she is completely fitted as a man-of-war sloop, and carries on her upper decks six 32-pounder guns on her broadsides, and one long 32-pounder swivel gun of nine feet six inches long, which can be fought both at stem and stern.
This vessel has been prepared for sea under the superintendence of Commander Lockyer, R.N. She had been tried in the river, and showed an average speed of 12 knots per hour, the engines working up to above the required number of revolutions, eighty-two, with plenty of steam and no hot bearings. The Victoria is nearly 600 tons burthen, 150 horse power, draught 11 feet 12 inehes. The diameter of the screw is 10 feet, the length of blade 2 feet 10 inches, the pitch 15 feet; number of blades 2.
Geelong Advertiser and Intelligencer (Vic) 14th April 1856.
|Address:||Gellibrand Street, Queenscliff, 3225|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.265386|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1854|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1892|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1959|
H.M. COLONIAL STEAM SLOOP
AUSTRALIA’S FIRST WARSHIP
BUILT 1854. COST 38,OOO POUNDS
IN SERVICE 40 YEARS