Eradication of St John`s WortPrint Page
A monument commemorates the first successful experiment to control St John`s Wort by subterranean clover which was in an area adjacent to this site.
In 1933 the mountain town won world acclaim for the experiment to exterminate St John`s Wort using subterranean clover. The planting of subterranean clover and the use of superphosphate suffocated the weed, pine was planted on the site and quickly took hold to become the district`s most widespread industry.
The Director of Agriculture (Mr. A. H. E. McDonald) said that the weed, St. John's wort, had for some years past been causing landholders in the Tumbarumba district a considerable amount of concern. The local and surrounding shire councils had recognised the danger and formed a county shire council for the purpose of preventing the spread of the pest. Since then great activity had been displayed and many of the roads had been cleaned-up. At the present time efforts were being concentrated on the infested areas on the lower reaches of the creeks in order that the spread of the plants by water might be prevented. On the farm lands experiments were in progress in which pastures were being developed to ascertain whether the wort could be smothered out. An experiment on the holding of Mr. Peard, of Mannus, was showing great promise. The area in question two years ago was heavily infested with tile weed, but the undesirable plant was now practically suppressed by the subterranean clover, which made excellent growth when treated with superphosphate.
Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 15 October 1935.
|Address:||Mannus W Road, 200 metres North of Munderoo Creek bridge, Tumbarumba, 2653|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.817744|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1967|
TUMBARUMBA SHIRE COUNCIL
RE: CONTROL OF ST. JOHN`S WORT.
THIS MEMORIAL RECORDS THE FACT THAT ON AN AREA ADJACENT TO THIS SITE THE FIRST SUCCESSFUL EXPERIMENT TO CONTROL ST. JOHN`S WORT BY THE USE OF SUBTERRANEAN CLOVER RESULTED FROM TRIALS PLANTED BY MR G.C. BARTLETT, DISTRICT AGRONOMIST OF THE N.S.W. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, MR H. ALEXANDRA, FIELD AGRONOMIST OF THE COMMONWEALTH FERTILI2ERS LTD.
IN COLLABORATION WITH MR B.H. PEARD OWNER OF THE LAND IN 1926 AND PROVED SUCCESSFUL IN 1933. THE RESULT OF THE METHOD OF WEED CONTROL CHANGED THE DISTRICTS AGRICULTURAL AND PASTORAL DEVELOPMENT AND WON WORLD RECOGNITION.
L.G. ROTH SHIRE PRESIDENT R.E. NORRIS SHIRE CLERK