"Glen Huntley"Print Page
A plaque commemorates the passengers of the fever ship `Glen Huntly` who were quarantined at Port Ormond and the victims who died there.
In 1840 an overcrowded emigrant ship from Scotland called the "Glen Huntly" arrived in Port Phillip. The ship was flying the yellow fever flag, alarming the inhabitants of the small town of Melbourne. Lieutenant Governor Charles La Trobe ordered Victoria`s first quarantine station to be set up at Point Ormond.
The rough canvas town under guard was exposed to bitterly cold and wet weather. Of the original 157 emigrants who had boarded the barque in Argyleshire, ten had already died at sea. The three men who subsequently died at the station were buried on the bluff, which thereby became St Kilda`s first official graveyard. For years the three graves were enclosed by a picket fence before erosion forced the reburial in 1898.
|Address:||Glenhuntly Road, Point Ormond, Elwood, 3184|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.88155|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||24-April-1840|
|Actual Event End Date:||24-April-1840|
To the memory of persons who were landed from the fever ship Glenhuntly which was not allowed to land anywhere at all and was diverted to Point Ormond. Many died and quite a few survived.