A monument erected at Isle of the Dead commemorates the crew of the ship Echo which was wrecked in 1840.
The schooner Echo sailed from Hobart for Sydney on 27 August 1840 with a general cargo, but was totally wrecked between Wedge Bay and Cape Raoul on the Tasman Peninsula with the loss of all hands. Wreckage, including three bodies located at Three Bay Beach, was discovered on the 30th.
|Address:||Isle of the Dead, Port Arthur, 7182|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -43.148986|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||August-1840|
|Approx. Event End Date:||August-1840|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1840|
Sacred to the memory of The crew of the schooner ECHO of Sydney
Wrecked on the west coast of Tasman`s Peninsulah.