Commemorates Captain Fawthrop and his crew who went to the help of shipwreck victims of the ship Admella, rescuing nineteen of the survivors.
Lifeboat stations were established by Colonial governments in response to the risk to trade from loss of life, humanitarian compassion and to follow the lead of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNL1 - England) in providing lifeboats and organising volunteer crews, and the Board of Trade, which established a Coast Guard service in Great Britain, to rescue shipwreck survivors from the shore.
Lifeboat stations were located at Port Fairy, Portland, Queenscliff, Warrnambool and Port Albert (Victoria), Newcastle and Sydney (New South Wales) and Port MacDonnell, Robe - Beachport and Adelaide (South Australia).
|Address:||Bentinck Street, Botanic Gardens, Portland, 3305|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.341914|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||10-August-1859|
|Actual Event End Date:||10-August-1859|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||2009|
1859 - 2009 Commemorating a tragedy ; celebrating volunteerism
Dedicated to Capt. James Fawthrop and the crews of the Portland life-boat whose heroic actions include rescue of 19 of the 24 survivors from the wreck of the Admella on Carpenter Reef, S.A. 13 August , 1859
Admella 150 Commemoration