North Lyell Mine Disaster Print Page
A memorial commemorates the forty two victims of the North Lyell Mine disaster.
The 1912 North Mount Lyell Disaster (also known at the time as the Mount Lyell Disaster ) refers to a fire that broke out on 12 October 1912 at the Mount Lyell Mining and Railway Company operations on the West Coast of Tasmania. The mine had been taken over from the North Mount Lyell Company in 1903.
The fire started on a Saturday morning, between 11:15 and 11:30 am, when the pump house on the 700 ft level of the mine was reported as being on fire. Only 73 men initially made their way to safety on the first day. Initially the status of the fire, numbers casualties and survivors were confused in the first day or so. Considerable problems occurred removing men from the mine who were still alive. Many became trapped as they were working in remote stopes and didn't know of the fire until it was far too late, as there was no emergency warning system operating in the mine. Instead, men had to run along the levels and drives calling to the men, warning them of the serious danger that faced them. 170 men entered the mine that day. 42 were never to be seen alive again.
Some time after the occurence of the North Lyell mine Disaster it was decided to erect a memorial monument to the victims in the Queenstown cemetery, and a fair sum was subscribed by the public, and the Mount Lyell Company agreed to supplement this amount. The war, however interfered with the proposal and the money subscribed was placed in the hands of trustees, pending a suitable time for doing the work. Mr M. Donnelly, secretary of the local branch of the A.W.U. has been notified by Mr. Sticht, general manager of the Mount Lyell Company, that arrangements for the erection of the memorial have been finalised and the company will defray all expenses that occur over and above the amount publicly subscribed. Preparations are in hand for the monument, with the names of the 42 men to be inscribed, to be ready by Christmas.
The Mercury (Hobart), 3rd December 1920.
|Address:||Lynchford Road, Queenstown Lyell Cemetery , Queenstown, 7467|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.095675|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||12-October-1912|
|Actual Event End Date:||12-October-1912|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||December-1920|
This stone from Mount Lyell stands as a lasting memorial to the forty two men who lost their lives underground in the North Lyell Mine fire on 12th October 1912 and are all buried here
[ Names ]