Rescuers Memorial Stone-Stockton Colliery DisasterPrint Page
Memorial plaque and stone commemorates the rescuers of the Stockton Colliery disaster.
On December 3rd 1896 six miners lost their lives underground in the Stockton Colliery. In an attempt to rescue them a further five men died underground when overcome by the noxious gases.
A number of the rescuers had entered the mine after the first disaster on the 2nd December 1896 in which two miners perished. These rescuers were overcome by noxious gases. Four lives were lost rescuing one body. James Sweeney, one of the rescuers, brought out three bodies, and died in an effort to recover the fourth. The task of recovering the bodies was a matter of very great danger as the mine was full of poisonous gases. Most of the bodies were found together with one body found with a stretcher lying alongside.
|Address:||Mitchell & Clyde Streets, Lynn Oval, Stockton, 2295|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.912558|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 1st December, 1996|
STOCKTON COLLIERY DISASTER - 1896
Numerous Vain Attempts Were Made To Rescue Alive Those Investigators Overcome By Carbon Monoxide.
Five Rescuers Paid The Supreme Sacrifice:
C. Charlesworth, D. Fitzpatrick, W. Gascoigne, W.Sneddon, J.Sweeney.
Names & spelling obtained from headstone NMH 7 Dec 1896
& from records of the Royal Humane Society of Australasia
Plaque funded by the United Mineworkers Federation of Australia, Northern District Branch.