Stockton Colliery DisasterPrint Page
Gate piers erected by public subscription to perpetuate the memory of the miners who perished in an attempt to recue their companions in the Stockton Colliery Disaster of 1896. The memorial gateposts were unveiled on the 28th August 1897 by the Minister for Mines. The tablets on the posts contain a brief description of the tragedy together with the names of those who perished. On the 27th August 1897, medals were awarded by the Royal Humane Society to the surviving members of the rescue.
On December 3rd 1896 six miners lost their lives underground in the Stockton Colliery when they were overcome by noxious gases. In an attempt to rescue them a further five men died underground. The piers are also in memory to two miners who were found dead at the furnace on the 2nd December 1896.
The ceremony of unveiling the gateposts erected at the entrance to the Stockton Recreation Reserve to perpetuate the memory of those who perished in an attempt to rescue their comrades on the occasion of the disaster at the Stockton Colliery in December last was performed by the Minister for Mines (Hon. Sydney Smith), in the presence of a large gathering, on Saturday.
The gateposts, which are of Gothic design, are constructed of Pyrmont sandstone, 14ft in height, and present an imposing appearance. On each corner of the piers are carved columns with foliated caps, and marble tablets containing the names of the heroes are let in to stone panels in the front of the posts. The designs were prepared by Messrs G Sanders and Son, architects and Mr G P Lock was the contractor for the work.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 30 August 1897.
|Address:||Mitchell & Clyde Streets, Lynn Oval, Stockton, 2295|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.912567|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||03-December-1896|
|Actual Event End Date:||03-December-1896|
|Monument Designer:||Messrs G Sanders & Son (architect)|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Mr G.P. Lock (contractor)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 28th August, 1897|
These Gate Piers
Were Erected By Public
Subscriptions To Perpetuate
The Memory And Heroism
Who Lost Their Lives In
Endeavouring To Rescue The
Exploring Party Who Were
Overcome By Noxious Gases
In The Stockton Colliery
On Decr. 3rd 1896.
The Following Were The Members
Of The Exploring Party Who Lost
Their Lives In The Stockton Colliery
Decr. 3rd 1896.
Who Were Found Dead At The
Furnace On The Previous Night.